29 July, 2011

A great article by Lauren Bans from GQ.


A killer role in the new Steve Carell flick has forced our brains to process this shocking truth: Josh Groban = damn funny

Josh Groban always seemed like a guy we would ignorantly lump in the nebulous galaxy of soft rock-crooning white guys beloved by housewives and elevator speakers. But this month he breaks out of the milquetoast mold with a seriously funny performance in Crazy, Stupid, Love as Emma Stone's boorish boyfriend—the most surprising cheeseball image-reversal since Michael Bolton killed it on "SNL" this spring. Oh, and we finally listened to Groban's music. Not so bad.

GQ: How in the world did you go about getting yourself cast in a romantic comedy?
Josh Groban: I went in for the audition and after one reading the casting director said, "Oh my god, you're just perfect." I was really excited for a moment, then it dawned on me: I just nailed the douchebag character. I could have used a few takes, maybe some notes to get me there. But no, I guess I had it in me all along.

GQ: So deep down you're really the cad who doesn't appreciate his smoking hot girlfriend type?
Josh Groban: No, I'm a nice guy. I just went really method and channeled all those people I've hated throughout my life. It was nice to play against type.

GQ: Too bad your first role was playing the guy Emma Stone realizes she's not in love with.
Josh Groban: I know. But we did get to kiss once, and for that alone, it was worth it.

GQ: That didn't make it in! Tell me about the kiss?
Josh Groban: At the end of one of our scenes the directors came up to us and said, "You know, this is feeling a little goofy. Let's just try to make this more believable with a kiss at the end." And I'm thinking, Holy shit. That wasn't in the script. I've never kissed on camera before. What does that mean? What do I have to do? I didn't take that class in college. And Emma's just this total pro. She pulls out her lip-gloss, and says, "It's cherry. That cool with you?" I mean, that kiss shall forever be my deer in "Stand By Me"; my moment alone, no one will ever be able to treasure it but me.

GQ: Except if it makes it onto the DVD extras.
Josh Groban: Yeah. Most likely the blooper reel.

GQ: I have to admit I'm not at all familiar with your musical catalog.
Josh Groban: Well, that's quite all right. I would venture to say I probably haven't read many of your articles, but this is the beauty of our business. Two become one. This world has brought us together.

GQ: I feel like you probably just quoted your own lyrics to me.
Josh Groban: [laughs] You'll have to find out.

GQ: What's a good starter song if I want to get into your music?
Josh Groban: My biggest blast-off hit was "You Raise Me Up." If you ever have a wedding or a funeral, it's a good pick

(Source)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a thought? Let me know what you think...